Thursday, March 21, 2013

Mets' Turner Out With Sprained Ankle

Justin Turner
Justin Turner (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Justin Turner should have been the leading candidate to replace the injured David Wright at third base for the New York Mets.
He sprained his ankle Saturday in the game against the Miami Marlins.
Turner's left leg buckled and his right foot turned awkwardly when he tried to throw to first on a grounder by Marlins outfielder Justin Ruggiano. Turner limped off the field and was replaced by Brandon Hicks. He was taken to the hospital for precautionary X-rays.
"I think just getting up, going to make the throw, I caught my front spike on the lip of the grass and then in order to try to catch my balance, all my weight went on my right foot and I turned it over," Turner said. "I don't think it's too bad, though. I was able to walk off on my own, and it's not too swollen so, hopefully, as long as it doesn't blow up overnight and get too bad, it will just be a couple days."
Turner has sprained both ankles in the past, saying, "That's one reason I don't feel like this one's too bad because I've had some pretty bad ones."
Manager Terry Collins had been planning on giving Turner more playing time at third since he has been primarily playing second this spring. Turner appeared at third base 11 times last year and has gained experience playing there during winter ball and spring training.
"You can't get discouraged. You can't get down. You've got to get yourself playing for the next day. If Turner can't play tomorrow, we've got to find someone else," Collins said.
Reference: Boston.com.
If you are a baseball player and have a foot problem, call our Newington, Kensington, or Middletown office to make an appointment.
Craig M. Kaufman, DPM
Connecticut Foot Care Centers
Sports Medicine Podiatrist in CT
Podiatrist in Newington
Visit our website, like our page on Facebook, and follow our tweets on Twitter


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment