Monday, November 12, 2012

Tennis's Elena Baltacha Foot Surgery

Elena Baltacha is contemplating whether to continue her tennis career while recovering from a successful surgery on a bone spur in her right ankle.
The 29 year old former British number one women's tennis player said in July she was going to take off six months to recover from her injury, and in October posted pictures on Facebook of her foot in a cast.
"I had successful surgery on my right foot to remove a tiny piece of bone that was causing a lot of problems around my ankle. It looks likes I'll be on crutches for a few weeks, but, after that, there'll be no stopping me."
Baltacha, now based in Ipswich, slipped to number 135 worldwide because of her inactivity after the Olympics. She is down to number four in Britain, behind Laura Robson, Heather Watson, and Anne Keothavong.
"I have had the problem for about five years, but this year has been the worst," Baltacha told BBC Sport. "I've missed quite a few tournaments and have been told that I have to have surgery."
Baltacha will do some preseason training in November and December before making her final decision to play in the circuit or to retire from tennis. She may instead dedicate her time to a tennis school she founded in Ipwich, Elena Baltacha Academy.
"If I miss the tennis life and want to get on a plane and give it another go, I will do that. But, if I decide that I want to dedicate my life to the academy, that's what I'll do.
If you are are suffering from a tennis related foot injury, call our Newington, Kensington, or Middletown office to make an appointment.
Craig M. Kaufman, DPM
Connecticut Foot Care Centers
Sports Podiatrist in CT
Podiatrist in Newington, Kensington, and Middletown, CT
Visit our website, like our page on Facebook, and follow my tweets on Twitter.


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment