Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Tipsarevic Forced Out Of Australian Open With Foot Injury

Tennis stars keep falling to foot injuries.
The latest casualty was eighth seeded Janko Tipsarevic, who went down with a foot injury during the fourth round of his match against Nicolas Almagro during the Australian Open. He was trailing 6-2, 5-1 when he injured his left foot. The 10th seeded Almagro advanced to the quarterfinal against fellow Spaniard David Ferrer.
Tipsarevic said he injured his foot when he changed directions during a rally in the seventh game of the last set, and could not walk on it afterward. He had come from draining back-to-back five setters and called the trainer to bandage his left foot early in the first set.
Almagro said of his opponent, "That's not the way you want to win. But that's sport. Sometimes you can't do your best and you need to stop. I think he made the best decision."
In the press conference after the match, Tipsarevic said, "I don't know how I managed to do it but I completely screwed up my left heel. I haven't seen the doctor yet... and I don't know what he's going to say. Nico Almagro was playing great tennis, hitting the ball powerfully from both wings. But I was feeling great today, I wasn't feeling tired at all from my previous matches. It was a beautiful day for tennis and I really felt I could play well. And I could not be more pissed off with the way I finished the competition."
If you are a tennis player and have a foot problem, call our Newington, Kensington, or Middletown office to make an appointment.
Craig M. Kaufman, DPM
Connecticut Foot Care Centers
Sports Medicine Podiatrist in CT
Podiatrist in Newington
Visit our website, friend and like our page on Facebook, and follow our tweets on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment