Saturday, January 26, 2013

Milos Raonic Plagued By Overuse Injury

English: Milos Raonic after beating Youzhny at...
English: Milos Raonic after beating Youzhny at the 2011 Australian Open (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
Milos Raonic lost in the fourth round of the Australian Open to Roger Federer, but the 22-year old still has a bright future and a big serve.    
Instead of setting his sights of winning the Australian Open, Raonic will now focus on Canada's Davis Cup World Group tie against Spain, scheduled for February 1st-3rd at UBC's Doug Mitchell Thunderbird Sports Centre.
Raonic is ranked 15th in the world, and was named to the team by team captain Martin Laurendeau, who watched the young player from Thorn-hill, Ont. lose to Federer 6-4, 7-6, 6-2.
Raonic later said he was plagued by pain in his left foot against Federer, and wasn't sure that he would be able to play against the Swiss champion an hour before the match was to start. "I rushed out to get a quick MRI on my foot," Raonic said.
In a teleconference later in Melbourne Raonic downplayed the injury, saying he didn't expect it to be an issue training in Vancouver for the Davis Cup.
"The foot is good. It's just pain from use. It was really nothing until 48 hours ago. There's nothing there to affect my participation in the Davis Cup matches. I'll be there, if called upon. I just need a few days to maximize my treatment physiotherapy to make it go away and get well," Raonic said.
"I don't think my foot played a large part in the result last night, I really think it was Roger playing well and me not being there as much as I needed to be. I made a lot of errors that in no way were connected to my foot and I just didn't execute as well as I needed to and that's just what it came down to more than anything else," Raonic said.

If you are a tennis player and have a foot problem, call our Newington, Kensington, or Middletown office to make an appointment.
Craig M. Kaufman, DPM
Connecticut Foot Care Centers
Sports Medicine Podiatrist in CT
Podiatrist in Newington
Visit our website, friend and like our page on Facebook, and follow our tweets on Twitter

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment