Tuesday, September 25, 2012

RoadRacer Tommy Hayden To Miss Next Race

CRW_1447
CRW_1447 (Photo credit: dck47)
After being unexpectedly launched from his #22 Yamaha Extended Service/Graves/Yamaha YZF- R6 by water and dirt on the track at New Jersey Motorsports Park during AMA Pro GoPro Daytona SportBike Race Two, Tommy Hayden will be unable to participate in the Big Kahuna Miami later this month.
Hayden suffered a concussion, third-degree separation of the AC joint in his right shoulder, and other injuries. Hayden flew to San Francisco to see orthopedic surgeon Dr. Arthur Ting for evaluation and treatment.
Hayden had surgery on his shoulder, which included insertion of a screw in the joint to repair and stabilize the damage. While evaluating Hayden Dr. Ling discovered that his patient had two fractured bones in his right foot, due to the crash.
When asked about the incident, Hayden said "At the very last second, I saw that something was on the track, but my front wheel was already almost there, so all I could do was hope for the best at that point. The water and dirt caused my rear tire to break loose, and  I don't remember much of what happened after that, but I went down really hard on the top of my head and my right shoulder. I didn't even know I'd broken bones in my foot till Dr. Ling discovered it."
Commenting further on the situation, Hayden said, "It sucks when you crash, and it isn't your fault. I don't know if the cornerworkers didn't see the water coming in that corner or not, but hopefully, somebody's looking into that situation and comes up with a plan so something like that doesn't happen again. I'd heard someone ran off the track on the lap before, and there was a bunch of water and dirt that got flung onto the track in that corner. I'm not really sure why no one saw that. Four riders went down in a split second, and it shouldn't have happened."
Hayden is currently fourth in the standings of the AMA Daytona SportBike Championship. He hopes to return as soon as possible.
If you are are suffering from a sports related foot injury, call our Newington, Kensington, or Middletown office to make an appointment.
Craig M. Kaufman, DPM
Connecticut Foot Care Centers
Sports Podiatrist in CT
Podiatrist in Newington, Kensington, and Middletown, CT
Visit our website, friend and like our page on Facebook, and follow my tweets on Twitter.

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment