Thursday, March 13, 2014

Victoria Azarenka Withdraws From Sony Open

For the second year in a row No. 4 Victoria Azarenka has withdrawn from the Sony Open with a foot injury. 
Azarenka was doubtful after she lost her opening match to American Lauren Davis 6-0, 7-6 (2) at Indian Wells. When asked at the time about Miami, Azarenka said, "I don't know."
"It's tough to say, because, you know, this problem is something that is not easy to get rid of."
The latest foot injury occurred three days before the Australian Open and left her in a walking boot for three weeks. She had less than a week to practice before Indian Wells and the foot has continued to be a problem. 
Early in her match against Davis, the pain flared up. "It was just one of the wide shots. My foot twisted a little bit," she said. 
She describes her injury as "inflammation that is nerve damage" and admits that she returned to the court "maybe a little bit too early."
Azarenka said in a statement about withdrawing from competition, "I am very sad not to be able to compete at this year's Sony Open in Miami. I love playing in the U.S. and my results in the past were great. But it's been now over a year that seems that bad luck has been following me. I couldn't play in Miami last year with a problem in my ankle and now this with my foot. It is time for me to think about my recovery and will work hard for that."
References: Sports Illustrated and Tennis
If you are a tennis player with a foot or ankle problem, call our Rocky Hill or Middletown office to make an appointment.
Jeffrey S. Kahn, DPM
Connecticut Foot Care Centers
Sports Medicine Podiatrist in CT
Podiatrist in Rocky Hill and Middletown, CT
Visit our website, follow my tweets on Twitter, and like our page on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment