Thursday, August 29, 2013

Two Titans Out With Foot Injuries

The regular season hasn't even happened yet, and the roster for the Tennessee Titans looks much different than it did at the start of training camp.
The Titans will be without two of their three starting linebackers for at least the rest of the preseason. 
Akeem Ayers will be sidelined for the rest of the preseason, and likely some of the regular season with a high ankle sprain he suffered during the game against the Cincinnati Bengals. The injury is serious enough that Ayers couldn't say for certain if he would be healthy for the season opener against Pittsburgh.
"They haven't really told me anything yet, so I guess we're just really playing day by day to see how my ankle feels and how I'm progressing each week and just pretty much go from there really," Ayers said. "It's a high ankle. It wasn't as bad as a few guys on our team, but everybody heals differently. So I don't think it's that bad. It's starting to feel better already, but I pretty much just need to take care of it right now and go from there."
Ayers has been a strong side linebacker for the past two years, and is a key component in the Titans' defense, able to play rush end in the nickel package. He's so good at what he does that it would take two people to replace him: Patrick Bailey will line up at the base package and Kamerion Wimbley will replace Ayers at the nickel. 
"I was just really getting a feel for my new role on defense. I was doing a lot of good things, as far as really rushing the passer," Ayers said. "I was getting a feel for it, and it's stuff that I really wanted to get a chance to finish the preseason out with. It is what it is. The best I can do right now is just get myself healthy and do the best I can to get on the field as soon as possible."
Weak side linebacker Zach Brown is also out this week with a bruised and sprained right foot. 
"They said they're gonna hold me out because it's preseason and they don't want to lose somebody during the preseason and not have them for the regular season," Brown said. "It's a bunch of things, but I'll be all right."
Greg Jones, himself just back from an ankle injury, along with Kadarron Anderson, Tim Shaw, and Jonathan Willard can fill in for Brown. 
Reference: Titan Insider
If you are a football player with a foot or ankle problem, call our Rocky Hill or Middletown office to make an appointment.
Jeffrey S. Kahn, DPM
Connecticut Foot Care Centers
Sports Medicine Podiatrist in CT
Podiatrist in Rocky Hill and Middletown, CT
Visit our website, follow my tweets on Twitter, and like our page on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment