Thursday, October 25, 2012

Austin River Sprains Ankle In Preseason Game

The New Orleans Hornet rookie guard Austin Rivers sprained his ankle in a preseason game on Monday night and hopes to be ready in time for the start of the regular season, which begins on October 31st against the San Antonio Spurs.
Rivers landed awkwardly on a layup attempt in the second quarter of the Hornet's 87-74 loss to Dallas and did not return for the rest of the game. He went down immediately, clutching his right left with 3:21 left in the first half and did not put any pressure on his right left as he was helped off the court.
"It looks like it's a right ankle sprain and we're just going to go from there and keep trying to get better. I just kind of landed on my foot; my body landed on my own foot. It felt kind of funny. You learn. I went in there looking for contact and a call instead of trying to make the shot. Usually when you look for contact you don't get the call. You learn from your mistakes and keep moving forward," River said.
Rivers, the 10th overall pick from this summer's draft, out of Duke, had X-rays on his ankle, which came back negative. He was scheduled to have an MRI on his ankle on Tuesday. This is the same ankle Rivers had surgery on in June to remove bone spurs. The ankle might not be healed or strong enough to return to full action, hence why Rivers sprained it.
"Even if there's a little bit of pain, I'll still try to play. So I think I'll be ready to go opening night. I just plan to keep working and have the medical staff do what they do best," said Rivers, the son of Boston Celtics coach Doc Rivers.
Rivers was wearing a walking boot after the game. He has averaged 7.5 points in 6 preseason games.
"I don't think it's too serious. It's one of those everyday basketball ankle sprains. I'll be back," Rivers said.
If you are are suffering from a basketball related foot injury, call our Newington, Kensington, or Middletown office to make an appointment.
Craig M. Kaufman, DPM
Connecticut Foot Care Centers
Sports Podiatrist in CT
Podiatrist in Newington, Kensington, and Middletown, CT
Visit our website, friend and like our page on Facebook, and follow my tweets on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment