Friday, January 17, 2014

Red Sox's Miller Looking Towards Future

Andrew Miller is not one to play "what if" games.
He hasn't thought about what would have happened if he hadn't wild pitched Chris Iannetta to second with two strikes on J. B. Shuck at Anaheim at the beginning of July. He doesn't question how he spun to home to cover the plate on Schuck's single. He doesn't let what happened that night ruin what was a great season otherwise.
"As tough as it was to sit out the second half of the season, I don't feel like there's a lot I'd change about last year," Miller told The Boston Herald.
Miller has been rehabbing in his offseason home in Tampa and is looking toward regaining his spot at the back of the Red Sox's bullpen.
"All the doctors I saw, all the second opinions, I always asked if there was something I could've done," Miller said. "Was I eating the right things? Was I doing something that made me more susceptible to this? Was it my shoes? Everyone said, don't worry. For whatever reason, I hit that angle, there was a one in a million chance it happens, and it did.
"So now I get it better and move on. There are unfortunate things we have to go through. It is what it is. No positive can come from dwelling on it."
Miller says he will be ready to play when spring training begins next month. He has been rehabbing three times a week in Florida with a physical therapist used by the Red Sox. Miller has also been working on an offseason throwing program and working out on his own.
"I'm running, hopping, doing plyometrics, jumping around, agility, all of that stuff," Miller said. "Everything has gone as planned, if not as good as I could've hoped. I'm happy with where everything's at, and it seems like everything's going to be just fine."
Miller sustained the dreaded Lisfranc injury to his left foot on July 6th. He finished his best season striking out 48 in 302/3 innings, an average of 14.1 Ks per nine innings, with a 2.64 ERA in 37 appearances. When the playoffs began, manager John Farrell mentioned Miller as one of the team's biggest losses, since he could overpower lefties and righties.
Miller was there for the team throughout the entire postseason, cheering them on. He said it was a "blast" but said it was bittersweet as well.
"There were certainly times sitting in the dugout watching, thinking, 'This is a time I could have helped,'" he said. "It drives me, not getting that experience first-hand. I was as close as you can get without being on the field and contributing."
This year, Miller hopes to be on the field during the World Series, helping his team the way he could not in 2013.
Reference: Boston Herald
If you are a baseball player with a foot or ankle problem, call our Rocky Hill or Middletown office to make an appointment.
Jeffrey S. Kahn, DPM
Connecticut Foot Care Centers
Sports Medicine Podiatrist in CT
Podiatrist in Rocky Hill and Middletown, CT
Visit our website, follow my tweets on Twitter, and like our page on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment