Sunday, January 12, 2014

New Zealand Cycling Champ Suffering From Mysterious Foot Ailment

National road cyclist Courteney Lowe is used to overcoming obstacles in her path.
Last year the 22 year old professional from Tauranga recovered from surgery on a narrowed artery in her hip to win the New Zealand Elite title after just three months recuperation time.
This year, Lowe will have to recuperate from a mysterious foot ailment that has bothered her for three months. She hopes to defend her title today at the Calder Stewart Elite National Championships in Christchurch.
Lowe sustained the injury while cycling in the mountains at her US-base in Bend, Oregon during her second season riding professionally with the American team Optum Pro Cycling.
"I'm training hard and some days are good and on other days the foot plays up. We've not managed to get to the bottom of the problem yet," Lowe said.
Lowe made her debut for New Zealand in 2010 and knows she may not be able to sneak up on the competition in the 120 km race like she did last year.
"I had not ridden much before last year's race and just had a great day. After the surgery on the hip, no one really thought I would be a factor," Lowe said. "There's going to be more pressure this year going in as the defending champion."
Lowe is hoping her injured foot will be well enough to compete today, a first in a year with high potential.
"To be fair I am not going into the race with any expectations at all. I guess the same could be said of last year but this time I am not sure if my ankle will hold out.
"I have been training hard for it. I hope I can have a good race and I have this injury sorted out soon."
The championships began yesterday with the timed trials at Lincoln College and the women's road race of 120.5 kms starts today with eight laps of six climbs on the infamous Dyers Pass. We wish Lowe's ankle holds out!
Reference: Voxy
If you are a cyclist with a foot or ankle problem, call our Rocky Hill or Middletown office to make an appointment.
Jeffrey S. Kahn, DPM
Connecticut Foot Care Centers
Sports Medicine Podiatrist in CT
Podiatrist in Rocky Hill and Middletown, CT
Visit our website, follow my tweets on Twitter, and like our page on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment