Monday, January 6, 2014

C. J. Spiller Blames Poor Performance On Ankle Sprain

C. J. Spiller was supposed to have a break-out year, the year he was to be one of the best running backs in the sport. 
However, Spiller's season has been marred by a high ankle sprain he sustained in Week 4. The goals he and coach Doug Marrone set forth were never met, including Spiller's goal of reaching the postseason for the first time in his four years in the NFL.
However disappointing the 2013 season was, Spiller is confident about his role in the Buffalo Bill's offense in 2014. 
"I don't have any concerns or any doubts what my role will be," Spiller said. "I think we just had an obstacle in the road when I got injured in Week 4. It kind of hindered some of the things that we were able to do with me. When you keep coming in and out of games, it's hard to really get a guy going like that."
During the first two weeks of the season Spiller was on the field 59% of the plays in both games (37, 44 plays). After that, he saw less than 40% of snaps in any game until Week 16 against Miami ((37 plays, 47%) and the season finale against New England (33 plays, 48%). 
High ankle sprains typically take four to six weeks, but Spiller missed just one week of play, Week 8 at New Orleans. Watching that game you can see Spiller is not playing at full potential, as he reaggravated the ankle sprain in Week 7 at Miami. 
Spiller's most productive weeks came in Week 13 against Atlanta (149 yards rushing) and the season finale against New England (105 yard rushing), but these numbers were short of the goals the running back set for himself in 2013. 
"Fifteen hundred yards, 15 TDs, and six yards a carry," Spiller said of the goals he set for himself in 2013. "I wouldn't say it's disappointing because I'll always have high expectations and I'm always going to shoot for the moon because in case I miss the moon I can fall on the stars. The last one was the Super Bowl and we didn't get it. That's the disappointing part; this is my fourth year here and my fourth time going home early."
With an entire offseason to rest, recuperate, and heal, we'll look forward to Spiller being at top potential next season with the Bills.
Reference: Buffalo Bills
If you are a football player with a foot or ankle problem, call our Rocky Hill or Middletown office to make an appointment.
Jeffrey S. Kahn, DPM
Connecticut Foot Care Centers
Sports Medicine Podiatrist in CT
Podiatrist in Rocky Hill and Middletown, CT
Visit our website, follow my tweets on Twitter, and like our page on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment