Thursday, April 11, 2013

Djokovic Injures Ankle In Davis Cup

Novak Djokovic had lifted Serbia over the US to a 3-1 lead by besting Sam Querrey 7-5, 6-7 (4), 6-1, 6-0 in the Davis Cup quarterfinal in Boise, Idaho. Things were looking pretty good until he twisted his ankle.
Djokovic, 25, is ranked No. 1 in the world, and twisted the ankle while hitting a forehand at 1-1, 30-40 on Querrey's serve in the third game on Sunday. He fell to the ground, but was able to finish the match with powerful anti-inflammatories and having the ankle wrapped.
After the tournament Djokovic said, "I sincerely hope that I didn't make it worse and I'm going to have a few days off. I was able to play some good shots at the right time. If I wasn't playing for Serbia, if I didn't have my team-mates' support, I don't know if I would've played. The first half hour was very painful.
"Injures are a part of the sport and you try to avoid them as an athlete as much as you can," Djokovic added.
A statement said an MRI scan revealed "a joint structure strain which requires therapy and strict rest. Depending on the recovery, a decision will be made on Nole's participation in Monte Carlo."
Djokovic posted a picture on Twitter as he underwent treatment, tweeting, "I'm doing the best I can with my team to recover fast for the upcoming tournaments."
He is hoping to be healthy for the Monte-Carlo Rolex Master, which he considers his home event, but isn't convinced he'll be ready for Monday. "It's swollen, and when it's swollen it's definitely not a good sign." Since 2006, Djokovic has made it to the finals twice, but has lost both times to Rafael Nadal. If he should pull out of Monte Carlo, No. 2 Andy Murray would be the top seed. Nadal would be defending the title he's won eight times.
Reference: BBC and Kansas City.Com
If you are a tennis player and have a foot problem, call our Newington, Kensington, or Middletown office to make an appointment.
Craig M. Kaufman, DPM
Connecticut Foot Care Centers
Sports Medicine Podiatrist in CT
Podiatrist in Newington
Visit our website, like our page on Facebook, and follow our tweets on Twitter

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment