Friday, August 24, 2012

Major League Baseball Foot Injury Update


Baltimore Orioles
Troy Patton, RP
Patton sprained his ankle after tripping in a parking garage in mid August, his third ankle sprain of the season. Placed on 15 day DL and won't be back until next week at earliest.
Boston Red Sox
David Ortiz, DH
Ortiz is still suffering from plantar fasciitis in his right foot and will not return until he feels 100%. But Ortiz isn't giving up on the season: "In my case, I don't think I should take the risk to be injured. If I'm good to go, I'm good to go and I'll play. If not, I want to be out there. There are some days I feel like, man, wish I could do something."
Chicago White Sox
Orlando Hudson, 2B
Hudson fouled a ball off his left foot mid August and was placed on the 15 day DL. He may not be back until September due to the bruised left toe. X-rays show no fracture.
Colorado Rockies
Dexter Fowler, CF
Fowler sprained his ankle Wednesday during the game against the Mets when he ran to second base and touched the bag awkwardly. He collapsed to the ground in pain.
Houston Astros
Jed Lowrie, SS
Lowrie sustained an ankle sprain back in July in a game against the San Francisco Giants. He was hit in the ankle by a sliding Gregor Blanco at second base. Lowrie, reaching for the throw, let the ball get away as he hopped on one foot and then fell to his hands and knees in pain.  He should be off the DL soon.
Houston Astros
Francisco Cordero, RP
Cordero has made progress with his toe injury, throwing from a flat mound. He will begin a rehab assignment soon and return sometime in September.
Milwaukee Brewers
Jean Segura, SS
Segura was out of Wednesday's line-up with a sore foot, and hoped to be back playing today. He hurt his leg running out a ground ball during the eighth inning of Tuesday's game.
New York Yankees
Andy Pettitte, SP
Pettitte, on the 60 day DL, threw 55 pitches off flat ground on Wednesday. The pitcher has been out since June 27th when he fractured his left fibula. "I feel good. I'm trying to draw a fine line here, because obviously I'm not completely healed or else they would tell me I could get on a mound right now, I guess. There's no sense even trying to explain it. I wish I could tell you that I could go out there and run sprints and run around and get on a mound right this second, but I'm definitely not quite there yet," said Pettitte.
Philadelphia Philles
Carlos Ruiz, C
Ruiz took some batting practice with the club on Wednesday, the first time doing so since he got plantar fasciitis in his left foot. He could begin running again next week, but manager Charlie Manuel wants him to be fully healed first: "I expect when he comes back and he runs, I don't want him to have a relapse. Because with what he's got, that can be very possible. He's got to be totally healed, as well."
Philadelphia Phillies
Nate Schierholtz, RF
Schierholtz fractured his big toe last week against the Cardinals by fouling two balls off his foot. He is expected to be out 3-4 weeks with the injury.
Tampa Bay Rays
Jeff Niemann, SP
Niemann took a ground ball to the foot and tried to walk the pain off, but it turned out his right fibula was fractured. He has been on the 60 day DL and will begin his two day rehab assignment at Triple-A Durham soon.
If you believe you have a sports injury, call our Newington, Kensington, or Middletown office to make an appointment.
Craig M. Kaufman, DPM
Connecticut Foot Care Centers
Sports Medicine Podiatrist in CT
Podiatrist in Newington
Visit our website, friend and like our page on Facebook, and follow our tweets on Twitter


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment