Saturday, May 24, 2014

Deron Williams Hopes To Have Surgery This Summer

Deron Williams of the Brooklyn Nets underwent an MRI last Friday on both of his ankles and he believes that surgery over the summer may be his best option. He met with foot and ankle surgeon Dr. Martin O'Malley on Monday. 
When asked last Thursday about the possibility of having surgery, Williams said, "I think so. I think it is. Just to clean [stuff out], it's nothing major."
Williams has been riddled with ankle injuries during the last two seasons, receiving multiple cortisone shots and platelet-rich plasma (PRP) injections for the pain, but the problem still lingers. 
"I feel like I've kind of let people down, so I don't like feeling like that," Williams said. "I take my job seriously, I work hard in the offseason, I work hard every day. It's just real frustrating not to be able to play how I'm capable of playing."
Williams' focus this summer is getting healthy and returning to his former All-Star form. 
"I used to step on the court and feel like I was the best player no matter who I played against, so I gotta get back to that," he said. "Even if I'm not the best player on the court, I gotta feel like I am."
In January Williams received a cortisone shot and a PRP injection in both of his ankles. Prior to Game 7 of the team's first-round series against the Toronto Raptors Williams got another round of a cortisone shot and an anti-inflammatory injection. Last season Williams received three rounds of cortisone shots and a PRP injection because of the inflammation in his ankle. 
"I have been worried about [getting so many cortisone shots]," Williams joked. "I've had a lot."
In 64 regular season games Williams averaged 14.3 points and 6.1 assists on 45 percent shooting. In the playoffs he averaged 14.5 points and 5.8 assists on 39.5 percent shooting in 12 games. 
Williams turns 30 on June 26th and struggled against the Miami Heat, shooting just 1-for-11 from the field in the fourth quarter of the second-round series, which lasted five games. 
Williams has three years and $63.1 million left on his contract with the Nets.
"Both years have been tough on me," Williams said. "I just feel like I haven't been able to play the way I want to since I've been here, really. And so it's just been tough, it's been tough to swallow, but hopefully can figure things out and get back to playing like I want to play."
Reference: ESPN
If you are a basketball player with a foot or ankle problem, call our Rocky Hill or Middletown office to make an appointment.
Jeffrey S. Kahn, DPM
Connecticut Foot Care Centers
Sports Medicine Podiatrist in CT
Podiatrist in Rocky Hill and Middletown, CT
Visit our website, follow my tweets on Twitter, and like our page on Facebook.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Wren! Sorry to hear they didn't work for you. Although I never realized what was missing until I wasn't in pain
    Regards

    ReplyDelete